The 10 Accessories Every Woman Needs
How to build a basic, totally versatile accessories wardrobe of bags, shoes, and jewelry that go with everything
There are reasons so many woman, fashion obsessed or not, love — love, love — accessories so much. Mostly it's because they have nothing to do with our figure. An amazing shoe, bag, or necklace looks, well, amazing on everyone. But there is something about the sheer joy, the bliss, that purchasing a new tote, pair of high heels, or dangly earrings brings us. It's a euphoric feeling that starts at the moment of purchase and is reexperienced every time you grab that particular piece from the closet. No wonder the word addict often follows accessory. And the object of our lust could be anything. Bags: big and small. Shoes: flat and tall. Diamonds, beads, bows. Every woman has her own passion when it comes to accents. And it's a passion worth indulging in.
Accessories not only finish an outfit, they can set the tone for your look. The switch of a heel to a flat, chandelier earrings to studs, or a slouchy hobo bag to a classic, structured carryall can change the entire effect of the clothes you are wearing. The bottom line is, a girl can't live on clothes alone. Extras are an easy way to add your personality to what you wear. Here are the 10 every woman should not live without:
1. Pumps. Whether they have pointy, round, or square toes, these classic heels look smart at work and sexy at night. Always have a black pair.
- The best ways to show off bling
- Find the perfect bag for your look
- 5 steps to flattering your figure with belts
2. Flats. Simple ballet slippers or skimmers are a more comfortable answer to the all-purpose pump. They're great for when you're on the go.
3. Diamonds. Rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets: No matter what form they come in, these sparkly stones will always shine — even if you are wearing jeans and a T-shirt.
4. Pearls. A classic, ladylike staple, these lustrous beads, as tidy little earrings or a single or multistrand necklace, always add polish and elegance to your outfit.
5. A structured bag. In a medium size, a sturdy, top-handle leather bag will serve you well every day.
6. A clutch. For evening, it's essential. A slim, sleek little bag that fits just the necessities is the piece to carry at night.
7. A belt. This piece can turn an ensemble from sloppy to sleek in an instant. It's a good idea to have multiple waist cinchers — thin, medium, and wide — in your closet.
8. A cocktail ring. Give your evening style a glam punch with a big-stoned bauble. Try bold, colorful stones for added effect.
9. A cuff. A thick bracelet in gold, silver, or enamel is a timeless accent and works day or night.
10. A metal watch. A high-quality, classic timepiece like a tank or a bracelet style — whether gold or stainless steel — will last you a lifetime.
More from Harper's BAZAAR
- 100 Best Looks From NY Fashion Week
- Supermodels Without Makeup
- Celeb Makeovers: Before & After
- Morning, Gorgeous! Overnight Beauty Products
- Street Style: Stars Bundled Up
Gallery: Everything you need to know about shoes
What are your favourite things to do in the summer?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Go camping
- Visit a cottage
- Patio drinks
- Spend time in the sun
- Go boating
- Road trip
- All of the above
- None of the above