Sleep is a skill that needs to be taught. A baby will sleep when he's good and tired. Always pick up a crying baby. Never pick up a crying baby. The reason there's so much inconsistency among parenting experts is because every baby is different and every situation is different. Plus, parenting is as much about instinct as it is about skill. As you peruse the army of parenting books out there, some things will simply make sense to you; others will seem absurd. The bottom line: Be open to new ideas and wisdom, but also trust your gut.
Photo: Andrew McCaul/Getty Images
- Embrace the Chaos: The 12 least useful baby gear items
- 9 things you're doing wrong as a mom
- The truth about your after-baby body
- I knew I was a mom when...
More Stories from iVillage.ca
- You Will Never Get Your Pre-Baby Body Back – and That’s OK
- 7 Things No One Told Us About Dating Guys With Kids
- 10 Tips for Breastfeeding After Returning to Work
- The Most Charming and Heart-Melting Baby Pictures (Bookmark These Ideas!)