Everyone's got a drinking story and everyone's got a hangover cure - but how many of these are true? There are any number of crazy facts, figures and stories that come out while we're drinking that aren't strictly based on the truth.
In fact, most of them are made up - but it would set you in good stead to have a few of the facts so you look like the smart one next time you're down the boozer and one of your mates starts spouting off about this or that.
1. coffe will definitely make you more alert...not sober but more alert.
2. beer will definitely cause a belly & many are in fact 'beer bellies' i usually have one at the end of the summer and it goes away once i lay off the beer.
3. drinking doesnt destroy your brain cells it decreases brain activity and years of drinking can shut down portions of your neural activity.
4. i know some women who can out drink many men of the same size & with more class.
5. mixing drinks is an individual thing, i had one chick puke all over me after a bottle of wine, some coolers & some fireball.
6. i think its just a toast...yanno "raise ur glas" kind of thing. certainly alot more people put sh*t in other peoples drinks nowadays.
7. drunken sex is the 'sh*t'
8. the best thing to do is take your groovy painkillers in the morning.
9. the only person ive seen beat a breathalizer was my friend who faked blowing and sucked instead ( lol ) but he beat it..i still have never seen anything like it to this day. or you can refuse to blow, you still get the fine but they have no record of you actually being drunk & adding additional charges.
10. drink lots of water, eat and apple & get on the eliptical machine with the settings on 'Kilamonjaro" for 15 mins. this and the groovy painkiller will cure your hangover.
My source is my biochemistry professor
Beer belly/pot belly is all about high calorie intake vs extremely minimal calorie burning (also very different from luv handles)
My uncle is diagnose with a dementia cause by alcohol (not drinking one drink in a blue moon!!!). Over the years, if you abuse alcohol there are many illnesses and conditions that are awaiting you.
But, ... Really .... some of those myths are soooo way out there ... so do people really believe myths number 6, 7, 8 & 9?
It seems to me that so far those who have commented are a "little" more informed than the actual writer of this article
In regards to the beer belly part of this article...yes drinking beer can give you a berr belly....Beer is full of calories and if you sit around on a couch all weekend drinking a six pack it is going to eventually catch up with you like anything we consume with a high calorie count....
As for alcohol not killing brain cells ! HA! that is the biggest fallacy in this article....there have been many studies over the years (and from far credible sources I'm sure) that has prove that excessive alcohol consumption can damage your brain...the article wasn't very specific as to whether on not they were indeed talking about moderate or excessive alcohol use....regardless it was not right of them to make alcohol seen as a substance without real health consequences.....people die for alcohol posioning....you mean to tell me this substance isnt capable of killing brain cells? Sure it is it is capable of ending your life if you abuse it.....
Source: my biochemistry professor
A great deal of the pain of a hangover comes from dehydration. Your body's been working hard to metabolise the alcohol and get the byproducts out of your system - which means pulling water from your body.
So, while there's no cure for a hangover other than time - the best way to reduce the effects of one is to drink water when you wake up and JUST water. Give your body a chance to rehydrate. Drinking more alcohol just makes things worse.
On the plus side, alcohol is an odd energy source. The body can't turn it into fat - which sounds wonderful - drink all you want and you're not going to put on weight... well, sadly no. Beers, for example, are loaded with sugars and carbohydrates along with the alcohol. Guiness makes a point that their beer is almost a meal in a glass.
To make it worse, your body will use the alcohol first because it's easier to metabolise for energy - which means all those other calories you just took in - are going to be used to make fat. So, if you're concerned about weight - stick to the harder liquors with water (not juice) and avoid the fruity mixed cocktails.
The other nice news: up to 2 oz of alcohol a day can actually improve your health. BUT.. more than that and it starts to do more harm than good. Women - sorry - 1.5oz for you. As always, everyone's different and your mileage may vary - but the key is that moderation is the important thing.
Oh... and since a typical bottle of beer is 12oz @ 5% alcohol (up here in Canada, anyway), that's .6oz of alcohol per bottle... so you can have 3 or so per day (2.5 for the ladies) but remember - watch the non-alcohol calories.
Just read in toady's paper, where that young lad from Alberta has died from drinking,,, is it worth it ? Such a needless waste of life... His friends should go to court for
letting it happen,,, so young..
ACTUALLY there was a study that showed the size of your brain shrank over time with regular drinking over the years.
THIS is the truth, so yes drinking does kill brainsells. How often do you sip a can of beer then put it away? No, you get drunk and wipe your brain cells.