Stake Your Claim Pick an out-of-the-way spot, if possible - not a distraction-laden living room corner or a hard-to-split-up space like your bedroom.
Think Happy Thoughts Specifically, consider colours that make you feel amazing (peruse your closet for favourite clothes, flip through old photos, take a walk outside), and use them to create your cave's basic palette. (Try Olympic's free ColorClix app for instant paint picks; olympic.com.)
Know Thyself What do you dream of doing in here? How will you really relax? Start small with, say, a comfy chaise or a nook for knitting. It's better to add later than to overstuff the space — or to overspend.
- Lifestyle TV: Ask a designer: Fun basement playroom
- H&H editors' favourite daring paint colours
- 6 ways to refresh your home
More from Good Housekeeping
- 50+ Bedroom Decorating Ideas
- 30 Best Beauty Buys Under $10
- Best Anti-Aging Haircuts
- 5 Best Haircuts of All Time
- 52 Ways to Get Organized
More Lifestyle Videos