Is Facebook Ruining Your Sex Life?
You want it. You need it. You can only suppress the temptation for so long before you just give in and do it. And by it we mean checking your Facebook and Twitter accounts
A recent study, conducted in Germany by the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, found that it is more difficult to resist the temptation to check social network tweets, pictures, comments, and other posts than it is to resist sex.
Study participants used their smartphones to regularly update researchers about their cravings. They noted every time they felt an impulse to check their social sites, as well as every urge they felt for alcohol, cigarettes, food, sleep, sex, and other forms of gratification.
- Bing: Signs your relationship is doomed
- 8 words that give a liar away
- Little gestures she wishes you'd make
Social networking sites came out on top with 42% of participants citing Facebook, Twitter, or other media outlets as the hardest desires to resist, according to study author Wilhelm Hofmann, assistant professor of Behavioral Science at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
"Media usage appeals to our short-term reward centres," Hofmann explains. Study participants turned to social networking sites to "fulfill a mixture of motives including social bonding and curiosity, which might not seem like a big deal--making it more difficult to resist" Wilhelm says.
In the meantime, if you're finding yourself more tempted by Pinterest than heavy petting, maybe it's time to make your sex life a bit more irresistible.
Here are six super-hot tips that trump boring status updates, any day:
- Assume a New Position. Try one - or all! - of these 35 orgasm-inducing ways to get your grind on
- Have Fun With Your Breasts. The truth is, your boobs play an important role in pleasing both of you. These six moves will help you double your pleasure
- Talk Dirty. Learn how language affects your sex life and how you can use your words to make sex so awesome, you'll find it hard to speak. Get the tips, here.
- Increase Your Libido. Insights and advice that will help make you hungrier for lovin' than you may have been in a long time. Get ready to get it on!
- The Better Sex Diet.Eat these 11 foods regularly for a boost in the bedroom
- Have Great Morning Sex. Scientists say that people who start their days by having sex are all-around healthier and happier than those who don't. Make it work for you.
More from Women's Health:
- Heal your body with seven simple strategies for age-reversing, lifesaving weight loss and optimal health
- How the Average Woman Uses Facebook
- The One Person You NEED to Unfriend on Facebook
- Sign Up for the FREE Women's Health Newsletters
What are your favourite things to do in the summer?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Go camping
- Visit a cottage
- Patio drinks
- Spend time in the sun
- Go boating
- Road trip
- All of the above
- None of the above