Why 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Is Good for Your Marriage
We aren't the only ones obsessed with Fifty Shades of Grey - but we're curious about exactly how many of us are dipping a toe into the (warm, wet - just kidding!) waters of erotic writing
Photo: RANDOM HOUSE
In case you've been living under a rock, Fifty Shades ofGrey is the best-selling book by British author E.L. James, and is a steamy, reportedly Twilight-inspired tale of a virginal college student, Anastasia Steele, and a handsome billionaire, Christian Grey. Imagine your dirtiest Bella/Edward fantasy with a BDSM twist. (BDSM, by the way, is a catch-all term for sexual bondage, sadomasochism, dominance and submission.)
What's amazing is the speed at which this book, which is number one on the New York Times digital bestseller list, is taking over the iPads and Kindles of mild-mannered mamas all over America. Apparently, this is a little bit of just-what-the-doctor-ordered. Maybe it's the fact that with all our digital readers, we can consume this stuff without being judged by the woman sitting next to us on the subway. Or maybe it's that Twilight has primed us all for some let-our-hair-down erotica where things get taken just a little bit, um, further.
Whatever it is, sex therapist and author Sari Cooper says it's all a really good thing, because it's helping women wake up and acknowledge their own fantasies and desires. Plus, she adds, erotic novels like Fifty Shades of Grey can help improve your relationship or marriage by opening up a conversation about sexuality. "For most women and many men, they don't have the language to articulate what they want in bed. If they have a book like this, they can point to a scene and tell their husbands: 'See that? That's what I want you to do to me'."
- Lifestyle TV: He said, she said: My secret sex weapon
- The best places to have sex (outside the bedroom)
So 'fess up moms: Are you reading Fifty Shades of Grey? Do you love it?
More stories from iVillage.ca
- WATCH: Why Women Are Obsessed with 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Balloons, Teddy Bears and Tantric Sex: Crazy (And Kind of Awesome) Sex Fetishes
- Kissing Revealed: 17 Things You Never Knew About Locking Lips
- What to Put in Your Sex Toy Starter Kit
What are your thoughts on baby names?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- I like trendy names that make the annual list of most popular names.
- I prefer unique names with different spellings.
- I stand by classic names that will never get old.
- I have no opinion.